Monday, March 28, 2011

Robin To The Rescue!!

     DovieMoon's nest photo reminds me of one of the wonderful things about enduring a hard winter with piles and piles of snow....the fact that one day all of the snow will stop falling from the sky, the backyard will watch it melt away with the Spring sunshine, and the beautiful red-breasted Robins will return to my backyard!!! :-]
     I know....you thought you were going to come by the blog this morning and see me ONCE AGAIN talking about how much I loathe and despise old cars and shifty-mouthed Mechanics, who try to deceive you into paying more than what a job is worth. But Ha! Ha! the joke is on you! LOL
    I am not going to talk about that car....or even my dryer, which by the way, now needs me to plan a funeral for it!...I am going to talk about my love of a Robin!
      No! Not this Robin!....Although I sure could have used him this weekend....POW!.....WHAM! {You know what I'm talking about too! LOL}
    No, I'm talking about this Robin....
      I was lamenting the other day about how the only critter I've seen in my backyard lately, even though the weather seemed to be trying to clear, was a lonely squirrel. There were no birds swooping and playing, or singing and hunting for food, like usual this time of year...But that same day we got another taste of winter! A 'Springtime Snow Storm' the weather man called it...trying to make it sound all whimsical-like!...I say BAH!
    But yesterday, with still a bit of a chill in the air, but loads of sun all over my snow-less backyard, I saw Robins!! Tons of them! They were all over the backyard, hopping around, pecking at the ground; standing still, looking around, scoping out the territory. It was a beautiful sight!
       It was a welcome pause from all the craziness that has been my life the last few days!!
       Those Robins were big...and fat too! Maybe they were all pregnant mamas looking for a place to lay their babies down. {Mamas in a group can get it done!!! LOL} It reminded me that I had to look up some information online about Robins and their nesting habits. 
      I told you about those beautiful gourd birdhouses that SharonsCustomArtwork has. I wanted to get one to hang in the tree out in the backyard. But the hole seemed too small for my Robins...and I didn't know if Robins would nest inside of a gourd!
       I have to thank her for her willingness to help me out too! She convoed me to let me know that she could make the hole larger for me, if I needed her too...I mean, how beautiful would this Sunflower Painted Gourd birdhouse be, hanging in a tree right where I could take pictures?! It could be the jump-start to a beautiful Season! :-)
      So, I googled it!! {I love saying that now...that I, Miss Computer illiterate extraordinaire,  'Googled' something! LOL} And guess what I found out?! Birdhouses 101!..."These songbirds like to stay in open spaces like gardens, farms, meadows and woodlands but they can also stay in the bird houses of your backyards. Robins can nest in artificial structures provided for them or even just about any convenient place they can find..."
      But then there was a glitch...."...Robins don’t like to live in cavities hence, they stay away from boxes. You can, therefore, provide them with a nest shelf where female robins can build her nest. Be sure to include a slope and overhanging roof to protect them from the rain...
     Now I'm not sure whether to get the gourd or not!...What would you do?! Get them a gourd with big holes, or let well enough alone and just enjoy them from afar?! :-/ ... Hard to resign myself to the latter though, because they're so PRETTY!!!
     And tanyabond, with her Two Robins Singing..., knows what I mean!
    Oh Well! I guess, in the scheme of things, this is not that much of a problem. Have you been looking at the news lately????!!!!!!!....If not....DON'T!!! LOL The word MELTDOWN could have a whole lot of meanings if you do!
                             {Robins 6 by margiemoore}
       Hmmmmm.....that reminds me...I need to get me some breakfast! ^_^ And just go look out the window at this beautiful snow-less sky! Have a good day everybody!!

Describe The Sky

Evoking awe and bouts of wonder.
Such inspiration, you just want to cry.
With birds high-flying, and winds a blowing,
what words would you use to describe the sky?

Would you say, whether clouds are upon it,
that it blankets a wondrous space?
Or would you be more awed and humbled,
hoping there you would find God's face?

I would say that when standing quiet,
looking up at the sun or moon,
there's a feeling of peaceful oneness
that I hope won't go away too soon.

Evoking bouts of awe and wonder
was probably what it was designed to do;
That is, besides giving off light and weather,
and the most spectacular view!


{By the way, you can click on most of the photos in this post to take you to their source.) 

12 comments:

  1. Love the poem! Love those robins too! Even the *POW* *BAM* one! LOL I'm not sure what to tell you about the gourd birdhouse. It IS cute! Maybe you could do something to bring the bottom up a bit. Add a platform? I don't know. It's your call on that one. Have a great day. I need to get ready for service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CinLynn, Thanks my friend, about the poem. I'll have to keep thinking on my gourd and Robin issue!...I'll *POW!* it!! ^_^ Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is toooooo funny, it's a robin kind of day in blogland I guess! Ours look big and fat too, must have been a good winter down south. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, With all the snow we had this year, I know they must have went to where the eating was good!! LOL It's just too bad I couldn't have gone with them! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, you're funny. Plan a funeral for a dryer.... haha, just you.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Priscila, Yep! I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to serve for food after the service now! Ha! Ha! It's definitely DEAD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super cute post... Love all your images of robin to the rescue!
    Thanks for the link love,
    Love and light,
    Dovie Moon

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always manage to find some beautiful pictures to share with us. Those robin's among the blossoms look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hellooooo! :)

    What beautiful robins you have!!! Ours are totally black! Being an animal friend like I am I like all the birds too but I have difficulties with robins ;) Why? Because they are the ones who always scream the loudest when they see or hear me and that spooks the other birds and animals that I'm trying to take a picture of LOL
    That bird house looks gorgeous!! But I guess if they say that robins don't like that kind of environments it wouldn't be right for them. Then again I'm sure some other bird species would find it great and move right in so if you're considering whether to buy or not to buy I would say buy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. themagiconions, Thank you!! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jo-anne, Thank you...This time of year it's going to get a lot easier too. That is if Spring ACTUALLY gets here full blown! LOL It's teasing us these days with the LOOK of Spring, but with really cold temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mariann, Helloooooo! :-) Black robins??!! WOW! It's our crows that are black around here...and the loudest too!...Ad I think you're right about my robin enclosure. I don't think my skiddish robins would move into a totally enclosed structure. They like roaming the backyard and sitting in the trees too much. But also, I think you're right about some other birds inhabiting it! In fact, for the first time, last year we had hummingbirds in the backyard! We also have bluebirds and woodpeckers, but the robins always run them off! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^