Sunday, June 12, 2011

YIPPEE!!!!!


You would think, after weeks of sitting still looking out the window, with my camera at the ready...and cramps in my clicker finger...I'd be tired of looking at...or for...hummingbirds! Well...you'd be wrong!

Not only am I still enjoying the constant watchfulness I have to be in every time something flies by the window...a butterfly, cardinal, large insect, or robin...but I'm also loving looking at hummingbirds in prints or paintings, like the original watercolor hummingbird by asho in my header photo.
Or this print set of two painted watercolor hummingbirds by rachellelevingston.

But guess what?!...As beautiful as their hummingbird paintings are...and they 'are' beautiful!...I no longer have to settle for just a still painting of a hummingbird. Yippee!! We finally got footage of the resident Holyoke, 'sitting in, and flitting around the tree in my backyard', hummingbirds!!! :-)

I know...it's not very good footage, but what do you want?! I was so excited to finally be in the right position to get some footage that it didn't matter what kind of footage it was...LOL...the 'first time' that is!! :-)) ...Yep! We got some more!!! :-) Take a peek at "Hershey" the hummingbird!

"Hershey" got his name because hubby thought he looked sorta like a chocolate drop. *Teehee*...Hubby named the other three hummingbirds....YES!!!! Three!!...that were hanging around our tree yesterday too!
He named the baby grayish one "Horacio". I asked why and he said: "He's so tiny that he needs a big name!" I asked why he thought Horacio was a 'big' name.....and then that saga was about to begin...You know the one like we had about the parrot...So I said: "Never mind. Horacio it is!" LOL
"Hershey" has a little white band around his neck. "Chico" is bigger and has a splash of red under his chin. And "Zip" is brownish, with all of his feathers always out of place. ^_^
"Hershey" though, is apparently now considering our feeder and our backyard tree his personal home. :-) It was pouring rain all day yesterday and he just kept coming back, flitting around, sitting in the branches, and preening himself and sipping nectar...all day!! :-)
As a matter of fact, this morning when hubby went out there to get the feeder down, to clean it and put more fresh nectar in it, "Hershey" was flying around the tree keeping an eye on him,...flying away, and coming back.

Hopefully now we all can just live in peaceful human versus hummingbird existence, and I can stop boring you guys with my hummingbird sagas all the time! LOL
Now I can go back to boring you with my crochet sagas!! ^_^ Speaking of which, I had a repeat customer recently, a gentleman who likes my men's boutonnieres. He was the hit of his niece's wedding recently, wearing a boutonniere from my shop...and he sent me a picture and gave me permission to share it!!!! :-)
Doesn't he look 'dapper'?! Hubby and I love the combo of the boutonniere, pocket handkerchief, and hat. "THANKS so much for letting me share", Mr. Excellent Customer!!! :-)
Okay, I'm all done...except for one more thing...I found a video on Youtube with directions for those of you who want to make your own homemade hummingbird nectar, so you can get some hummingbirds to visit and stay in your yard! It's 'Easy Peasy'!!!


And Oh Yeah! I didn't forget my movie theme for today either! ^_^ I thought this one was the perfect one for today!!!


Spring Is The Rain

Spring is the rain,
when the flowers grow again,
and new life is let remain.
After months of drench and drain,
you now see roses down the lane.

Spring is the rain,
and the budding of the grain,
and birds, out your window pane.
When the weather makes you sane,
and its no longer on your brain,
'cause there's no cold to give you pain.

Spring is the rain-
the time for traveling on the train,
for watching trees, not weather vanes,
and raking leaves-Autumn's disdain.
You lift your head, just like a crane,
and now your thought's no longer vain.
You think of seasons that were plain,
but now its blooming, down on Main,
because spring is the rain.

20 comments:

  1. Hersey sits in the branch guarding "HIS" feeder! He'll chase the others away, you watch! I have some like that too. Haven't seen many lately, but your footage is great and I'm glad you finally got some. Have a great Sunday my friend and enjoy your meeting!

    enter me

    ReplyDelete
  2. CinLynn, Ha! Ha! You may be right, but so far the four of them are co-existing. No fighting...YET! ^_^ And you enjoy your meeting today too. Being there is a good 'Decision'!! :-)...Entering you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6/12/2011

    Great footage Deb. I am glade that you have them coming to your feeder. I sure do like watchng them to. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peg, Thanks! I was beginning to think they the local hummingbirds around here were just 'snooty'! ^_^ Come to find out, they're just 'discerning'! LOL Have a good rest of the weekend! :-]

    ReplyDelete
  5. FINALLY you got some footage! Some great footage there. I've never seen a hummingbird so this is a first for me. I don't think I'll be making much hummingbird nectar though - they aren't native to the British Isles...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creating Trouble, Thank you so much!! It was a matter of who was going to out-wait who...and I won!! LOL And how nice that I get to show you your first hummingbird!!! :-) I have news for you though...The sugar water (Nectar) works really good for humans too! Ha! Ha! As a kid we drank tons of it all the time!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great video! We have just one little hummer who visits my feeder and hopefully we'll get more as the summer goes on. My in-laws used have about 20 or more that would come back every year. They were so fun to watch. Your previous post on Spanikopita was yummy also! That's a specialty of mine that I love to make and also eat...glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yaya, How great! You've got a regular visitor too! I'd love to see him sometime. :-) And I'd like to see your Spanakopita too! :-)) {By the way, how is it pronounced? I've been saying 'span-ah-coh-pee-tah'. Is that right?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the videos. Patience and persistence sure does pay off :) I love the names of the hummingbirds too!

    I have a little surprise for you on my blog if you choose to accept it :)
    Blooming Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo-anne, :-)) Ha! H! to you! I already saw your surprise and went and visited the two blogs you mentioned that I'm not familiar with! LOL I'm Q-U-I-C-K!!!!! ^_^ And by the way, I'm glad you liked the videos! I can't believe I got all of that footage all in the same day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, hello there! Really NICE blog you have here. I enjoyed the videos. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. You are a lucky girl...I bet your hubby gets to bring home free snoballs, yes? So dangerous! ;)

    I'm your newest Follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pammy Sue, Hello!! Ha! Ha! And yes, those Sno-balls 'are' dangerous....That's why he's not allowed to bring them home...EVER!!! LOL And, by the way, thank you for the nice words about the blog! :-) I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your video is so great. He is a little darling! Wish we had hummingbirds here!


    Enter ME!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi There...I may be on vacation but i am still in touch...thank you so much for visiting my little pink blog...I understand abut the hummingbirds...last year I was thrilled when I realized wee had one in our yard! We didn't even have a feeder! This year I want to put out a feeder so thanks so much for the recipe and the painting are beautiful! Pinkim from trulysimplypink

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to see the videos, I love watching birds too! Hard to take a closer look here because of the big trees nearby, and they move so fast.
    Your boutonnieres are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alittlesprite, Thank you! I'm so glad I was finally able to get some footage so you could see. It's not the same with me just 'yammering on' about it! LOL...And you're entered again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. pinkim, Yes you 'are' still in touch! :-) And I appreciate you visiting me too!...And how great that you have a hummingbird too. I can tell you that the recipe for the nectar works great!! They are here all the time now! I look forward to keeping up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mimi, Thanks for your visit! And I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. I've been trying to catch those little 'babies' for quite a while, and then yesterday they were here all day!!...In the rain no less! :-) And thanks for the nice words about my boutonnieres too! I appreciate the input.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved all the videos. I have at least one hummer, but, he's in and out so fast, all I see is a blur! Enjoyed "Singin' in the Rain" video--my favorite movie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Darlene, Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed them! :-) And yeah! I had been sitting here with my camera 'at the ready' for weeks now, trying to get a little footage, or a picture, of my hummingbirds! They were coming very sporadically...until Saturday! They were here all day long! And it was a rainy day too!!! Go figure!!!

    ReplyDelete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^