Friday, September 23, 2011

Martha Stewart....THANK YOU!!!...every day!

           Now, you might not know what this is (in the header photo), but there's a recipe for it down below...YUM!!!
       Okay, as I told you yesterday, I love, love love the new 'everyday FOOD' magazine by Martha Stewart! I got my new issue a couple of days ago and I can hardly put it down!! There are so many wonderful recipes in it! 
      And yes!...Please don't be mad Martha...O_0...I have to share! :-) Below are 3 of my favorites from this issue!...They're not the only ones I'm putting on my 'To-Fix-Myself' list either! I'd be here all day...with gnarled and aching typing fingers!..trying to share all of the ones.....just in THIS book....that I like! (And please forgive my non-lit photos. It was REALLY early in the morning. The sun...and my good picture-clicking finger...hadn't come up yet! ^_^) Okay, First up...
Mario Batali's Stuffed Acorn Squash
-- 3 medium acorn squash, quartered lengthwise and seeded
-- coarse salt and ground pepper
-- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
-- 1 1/2 cups chopped scallions (2 bunches; whites and about 2 inches of greens)
-- 4 garlic cloves; thinly sliced
-- 2 large bunches Swiss chard, ribs and stems removed, leaves cut into 1/4-inch ribbons (about 16 
      cups)
-- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
-- 1 cup coarse, dried breadcrumbs, such as panko
-- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

STEP 1: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Trim bottom of each squash piece so it rests flat. Season squash with salt and pepper and place on a rimmed baking sheet, skin side down. Drizzle with 1/4 cup oil and bake until tender, 45 minutes.

STEP 2: Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium-high until smoking. Add scallions and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add chard and stir to combine. Cover and cook over medium until vegetables are very soft, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until mixture is nearly dry, 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until deep red and fragrant, 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

STEP 3: Heat broiler. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Fill squash with chard mixture and top with breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently so it adheres. Broil squash until breadcrumbs are browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
       {And just in case you want to know...per piece: 186 cal; 11 g fat (2 g sat fat); 4 g protein; 20 g carb; 3 g fiber...I think it's pretty cool that they tell you this with each recipe in the book!} 
             I love this recipe because I LOVE acorn squash! I can eat them baked out of the oven with a little butter or sauteed with some onions, or any number of simple ways. Now I have another wonderful way to make them...and it has my beloved CHEESE!!! :-)
         The next recipe is the one from the header photo. It's made just for one person...
Chicken With Parmesan Grits And Tomatoes (for one)
-- 1 large boneless, skin-on chicken thigh (5 ounces) 
-- coarse salt and ground pepper
-- 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
-- 1/2 cupgrape tomatoes
-- 1/4 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
-- 1/4 cup instant grits  
-- 1/2 ounce Parmesan, finely grated (2 tablespoons) 
-- roughly chopped fresh parsley, for serving

STEP 1: Heat a medium skillet over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet, skin side down, and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes (reduce heat if chicken browns too quickly). Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.

STEP 2: In skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium and add tomatoes, onion, and garlic. Cook until tomatoes are softened and onion is tender, 5 minutes.

{Meanwhile, in a small pot, bring 1 cup water to boil. Stir in grits and pinch of salt; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed, about 7 minutes.}

STEP 3: Stir in Parmesan and 1/2 teaspoon oil; season with salt and pepper. To serve, top grits with chicken and vegetables and sprinkle with parsley.

{per serv: 564 cal; 30 g fat (8 g sat fat); 33 g protein; 38 g carb; 2 g fiber
        I love this one because.....Well, because it has grits! :-) What's not to love?! I eat grits all the time. I love them with....of course...cheese. But I also like my grits with some gravy and onions, lima beans and butter, sauteed with hamburger and potatoes, etc...Why I never thought about chicken is a mystery to me! ^_^ But I won't ever NOT think about it with chicken again!!
         And lastly...
Roasted Sweet Potatoes And Bacon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, combine 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces, 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, and 5 sprigs thyme; season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Roast until sweet potatoes are browned in spots and tender when pierced with a knife and bacon is crisp, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. (Serves 4...says them!! LOL)
{per serv: 230 cal; 3 g fat (1 g sat fat); 6 g protein; 46 g carb; 7 g fiber}
      Another recipe where I don't know why I didn't think of it! I love sweet potatoes and yams more than I love cheese...I know, SHOCKING!! LOL...and I can't believe I never thought of putting bacon in them before! So quick....so easy to do.....so delicious!!! YUM!!! I can't wait to do this recipe! It may be a weekly one!
      I'm not getting paid to say this, but it's well worth your knowing, that if you want to get this book yourself, or some other good recipes, you can go to Martha Stewart's everyday FOOD website yourself..HERE!...And I'm done for today!...Really done! ^_^ Happy Cooking Everybody!!


Cooking

Flipping, Frying,
Flambeing, Filleting,
Burning, Browning,
Paring, Pureeing.

Boiling, Baking,
Mixing, Making,
Simmering, Scaling,
Sifting, Shaking.

Cooking, Crackling,
Cutting, Coring,
Sprinkling, Spattering,
Patting, Pouring,

Broiling, Battering,
Steeping, Steaming,
Timing, Tossing,
Cubing, Creaming,

Slicing, Scrambling,
Turning, Toasting,
Melting, Measuring,
Rinsing, Roasting.

Dipping, Dicing,
Skimming, Sauteing,
Poaching, Peeling,
Mincing, Microwaving.

Gathering, Grilling
Basting, Barbecuing,
Hacking, Heating,
Scoring, Skewering.

Standing, Stirring,
Rough, Tough,
Kitchen, Ditching,
Had Enough!

10 comments:

  1. They all look delicious! I love sweet potatoes so I'm thinking that one could be a winner. And as far as grits are concerned, I love them! I never thought to do anything with them though, besides eating them with eggs. I'm not from the south, can you tell? LOL
    Hope you have a great Friday and a wonderful date night! Can't wait to hear where you're going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CinLynn, Thanks Bead! I think they look delicious too! And I thought you'd like them!...I wish I had one of each of them right now!! But None of them are foods normally eaten on our date night destination this time. :-) Oh...but good food is an absolute 'gonna have' on this trip though!! You'll see what I mean when we get back! ^_^ Have a good rest of the day my friend!...O-Pa!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU DEB....I think you have just provided me with my thanks giving dinner!!!! YES!
    OMG that chicken looks AMAZING!
    HUGS
    and have a grand weekend.
    Char.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We Blog Artists, All of those recipes...and a ton more in this month's issue look delicious, Char!! I'm sure they must taste as good. I already know about grits, chicken, and sweet potatoes. This just added to my repertoire! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Hungry!!
    I've been seating here, but I really need to get some groceries...I think I just get my motivation.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb thank you for sharing some really delicious looking food and the recipe. Did you ever figure out how that magazine made it to your mail box? Nice poem I didn't know there were so many words associated with cooking. Have a great afternoon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Priscila, Ha! Ha! Sooooo...you're probably not even seeing me giggling right now because you're either at the grocery store or somewhere eating! ^_^ Enjoy!!! And have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SnowflakeDreams1, It was my pleasure to share them! I think that someone besides me should be eating good acorn squash, chicken and grits, and bacon laden sweet potatoes! ^_^ And I have my suspicions about how I got the magazine...*raising left eyebrow and pointing*...but I'm not totally sure. ;-)...Thanks for the nice words about the poem. Believe it or not, there's more words too!!...Have a good weekend Velma! Off to get ready for 'Date Night'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chicken recipe in particular sounds yummy - but what are grits???
    Enter me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gill, Here's a link you can "copy" and "paste" to read what grits are...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

    I would describe them as a cross between 'cream of wheat' and 'rice'...sorta kinda. ^_^ They're a very good 'go with' kinda food...And you're now entered! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^