Friday, October 4, 2013

'Friday Date Night'...And Things My Parents Taught Me!


      With so much going on this week, hubby and I have been kinda slow about nailing down our plans for our 'virtual' date tonight. So, when we woke up to darkness this morning...Ugh!...we decided to have a little conversation, and try to figure out where we wanted to go!
      Well, as it turned out, the conversation was more about where we 'didn't' wanna go! O_O The world is so crazy right now that traveling is losing it's thrill!...And as the sun came up....Ahhhhhh! :-) The backyard is getting more and more full of color!!!...


      Not a bad sight for tired morning eyes, right?! ^_^...
 

      Anyway, we finally started talking about places we 'could' travel to, and have some fun!...
 

      That led to a hilarious conversation about things our parents taught us growing up, and how ridiculous it is that we still, in some ways, are following through on their advice! ^_^ Well...on 'some of it'!!! LOL I'll give you some 'for instances'!...
     For instance, our parents taught us to be respectful of other people, and to have good manners...


      Hubby's mom and dad taught him never to fight with a woman...and to hold doors for them. :-) They also told him never to 'bad mouth' (verbally be disrespectful of) anyone older than him...(My mom taught me that too!! ^_^)...I am happy to report that my hubby listened well! And he's still good like that! :-) 
      My mother taught me how to cook...how to cut potatoes with a knife...how to make cornbread stuffing from scratch...how to make the best peach cobbler in the world!...and how to make the best gravy in the world too...*browning the onions, adding a flour and water mixture, salt and pepper, (I also add a little hot pepper seeds now...YUM!) and a little bit of dry coffee grounds to it!* ^_^
     But....and thus the reason for me talking about this here on the blog... ^_^ ...my parents also taught me some silly things! And some of those things have me still scratching my head forty years later!! LOL
     For instance...my mom taught me to always have a threaded needle stuck in the back side of a hung curtain. :-)) I know...you're thinking: "WHAT?!!"...but 'back in the day', when people actually sewed everything by hand, a needle 'at-the-ready' in case something came a loose or needed a little hemming, was a big deal!...And I can't tell you how many times that actually came in handy, having that threaded needle in the curtain! :-)
      


      Another thing my mother taught me when I was young was to ALWAYS keep a dime in your shoe...in case you ended up somewhere and needed to call home...or call the police! :-)) Well, needless to say, this advice no longer would even make sense! LOL Phone booths don't take money anymore!...and if they did, it would certainly be more than a dime to call anyone! LOL
      Along those same lines was the advice my hubby was given, to always try to keep enough money on him to call a cab (taxi) if case he got stranded somewhere!...The suggestion was always a twenty ($20) dollar bill!...


       Ha!...You can't even get to the corner for twenty dollars in a cab now! ^_^

      And of course there's the 'tried and true' advice to always wear clean underwear! LOL I mean...suppose you get in an accident or something!! ^_^ That advice always tickled me, because by the time the police and firefighters get there to cut you out of the mangled car...your underwear will probably not be clean anymore anyway!!! LOL

      Of course, there's also some things I learned from my father!..."I love you, Daddy!" ♥ ... but they were the things that I'm still scratching my head about! ^_^ Things like 'never sweep anybody's feet with a broom...because that means they'll be going to jail!' O_O ...And if the palm of your hand starts itching that means you're gonna get some money from somewhere. O_O 
     Yes...my father was very superstitious. It was mind-numbing at times too!...On New Year's Day we were not allowed to leave our house until a man...any man...came through the front door. O_O And if a black cat crossed our path going to the right, it was suppose to be good luck. But if it crossed our path, going to the left...we were suppose to RUN!!!!...in the opposite direction...F-A-S-T!!! LOL 
      As an adult, and one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I don't believe in superstition, or luck. But I still remember the things my father believed. Some of them he STILL believes to this day!!...I'm working on him though. ^_^

      Ooooo! Look at the time!! O_O And I'm not outta bed...or packed for a trip...or nothing!! :-)) I don't even have any idea where we're going!!...Or what I'm going to wear!...



      Considering the colorful backyard we're looking at...maybe we'll just stay in bed and stare out of the window at the leaves all day! :-) I'll keep you informed. ^_^ ...Have a good weekend, Everybody!...and be sure to listen to your parents....sorta, kinda. LOL

Going Out With My Baby

Going out with my baby.
Or going nowhere, but it's alright.
Playing games and constant laughing.
I think it's gonna be a great 'Date Night'!

Going out with my baby.
Or staying in, and hugging tight.
Eating all the things we shouldn't.
But smiling through every single bite!

Going out with my baby.
And visiting 'virtually' every sight.
All dressed up or in our jammies,
We're having fun. You know that's right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^